Top-rated law schools have many things in common. Faculty renowned for their expertise and scholarship. Rigorous admissions standards. Competition to excel. Accomplished alumni who command handsome salaries and the respect of their peers. While Vanderbilt Law School offers all of these important elements, they don't tell the whole story.
Our results speak for themselves. The average first-year class size at Vanderbilt is 190, yet every fall hundreds of law firms (more than 500 last year) from throughout the United States come to campus to conduct interviews with second-year students. Many more invite our students to apply directly for law-related positions by sending resumes or by contacting recruiters.
The skills of lawyers, including the skills of analyzing complex issues, asking the right questions, advocating for clients, and managing disputes and organizations, are best taught in a rigorous setting by first-rate faculty, in the company of outstanding classmates. At Vanderbilt, you'll find a faculty that is second to none in combining excellent and demanding teaching with important and influential research. More than anywhere else, Vanderbilt professors are demanding in class and civil and accessible outside it. Our faculty and staff work hard to model, in every program and class, best practices in teaching law.
You'll also find a solid network of active and supportive alumni, a strong Career Services program, and a relatively small student body (a purposeful decision that we believe facilitates learning and relationship-building) -- all situated on one of the world's most beautiful campuses, located in a sophisticated Southern city with a fascinating historical heritage.
Vanderbilt Law School offers a topnotch legal education, small class sizes and a collegial learning environment, all set on one of the most beautiful campuses in North America, located in the vibrant, sophisticated city of Nashville.
If you're seeking an excellent legal education in a pleasant and stimulating environment, we invite you to visit Vanderbilt Law School. Here you'll find a highly ranked law school with a top-caliber faculty with number of unique advantages:
Small, but outstanding, student body
* A faculty/student ratio of 1:16
* Students who represent a variety of different backgrounds and aspirations, and a broad range of life experiences.
* Influential, active student organizations and student-led programs and publications
* Opportunities for students to contribute extensively to the academic and intellectual quality of the learning environment, and to engage their peers and professors. The Hyatt Student Activities Fund provides students with resources to bring in outside speakers and organize educational programs.
* A demonstrated commitment to social justice, through clinical outreach programs, public interest work, volunteer efforts, and participation in student organizations.
A lifetime of opportunities
* The VULS community includes more than 7,300 alumni who live and practice in 49 states and around the world.
* Your legal education here will prepare you to take advantage of a broad range of legal career opportunities as practicing attorneys with large firms, in private practice, and in public service, as well as in the judiciary, government and international service
* Interested in beginning your career with a clerkship? You'll find the support you need at Vanderbilt Law School, where several of our faculty members have clerked for Supreme Court justices and graduates have landed prestigious clerkships.
Rigorous intellectual environment
* Our faculty includes nationally and internationally renowned scholars, whose influential scholarship and research is shaping the future of the legal profession.
* More than 150 course offerings in such areas as corporate law, law and business, intellectual property, international law, health child welfare, cyberspace, constitutional law, criminal law and federal courts.
Accessible faculty who maintain an open-door policy
* Quality teaching is an ongoing priority at Vanderbilt Law School.
* Students are encouraged to reflect and participate in the creative processes of the law.
* Each year, the prestigious Hall-Hartman Outstanding Professor Award is awarded to professors chosen by a student vote.
Attractive location in a vibrant, sophisticated southern city
* The law school is situated on one of the world's most beautiful university campuses, which is designated as a national arboretum.
* Nashville, where Vanderbilt is located, is a city of 1.5 million people that offers a unique combination of cultural sophistication, business savvy and regional character.
* Nashville boasts pleasant weather much of the year, beautiful spring and fall seasons, loads of great restaurants in or near the Vanderbilt area, and an eclectic music scene that extends far beyond country to encompass jazz, rock, classical, folk and every other category.
* The Vanderbilt University community includes a top medical school and university medical center, the Blair School of Music, the Vanderbilt Divinity School, the Owen Graduate School of Management, Peabody College of Vanderbilt University, a school of engineering, and other graduate schools and programs.
Students at the Vanderbilt Law School take advantage of many recreational, sporting, cultural, and academic activities available in Nashville and at Vanderbilt. As the capital city of Tennessee, Nashville is home to the Tennessee Titans football and the Nashville Predators hockey teams, and a minor league baseball team, the Nashville Sounds, as well as to the world-class Nashville Symphony. The Tennessee Performing Arts Center features Broadway productions year-round as well as a strong local theater company. On campus, Vanderbilt's noted Blair School of Music often sponsors professional concerts and recitals. The Sarratt Student Center, which houses a cinema, an art gallery and studios, a performance hall, and lecture rooms, is within a short walking distance of the law school. And Project Dialogue affords students the opportunity to see debates, films that incorporate discussion panels, and speakers addressing controversial contemporary issues. Within easy driving distance, a number of beautiful national and state parks beckon students who enjoy hiking, camping and climbing.
The Vanderbilt Law School learning experience extends beyond the classroom to student organizations that encourage you to do research focusing on areas of interests and legal concepts. VULS offers more than 30 law-related student organizations, several sponsored lecture series, clinical programs, legal publications, and moot court programs.
In addition, the Hyatt Student Activities Fund supports student-sponsored symposia and educational programs by enabling student organizations to bring in outside speakers of their choosing.
Vanderbilt owes its reputation as a highly selective law school in large measure to the scholarly productivity of its faculty, who are nationally and internationally renowned. Scholarship and teaching go hand in hand at Vanderbilt. Professors challenge students with the latest problems and issues facing the law.
The faculty profiles demonstrate, few generalizations about Vanderbilt faculty are possible other than they demand much of themselves and their students in their teaching, writing, practice, and public service. Faculty fields of expertise are wide-ranging and include most areas of public and private law as well as disciplines outside of law. Their scholarship commands attention nationally and internationally, and few important issues escape their influence and attention. Yet on any given day, the vast majority of the faculty can be found in their offices at the Law School, accessible to students and involved in the life of the institution.
School name:Vanderbilt UniversityLaw School
Address:131 21st Ave. South
Zip & city:TN 37203-1181 Tennessee
Address:131 21st Ave. South
Zip & city:TN 37203-1181 Tennessee
Law School Law School Location
University of Tennessee (College of Law)
The University of Tennessee College of Law opened its doors in 1890, but it has never been better than it is today. For more than 110 years the Tennes...
Address: 1505 W. Cumberland Ave.
University of Memphis (Cecil C Humphreys School of Law)
The Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law began in 1962 as a college within Memphis State University. The law school began in response to widespread inter...
Address: 3715 Central Ave